And i think that people(even more youngsters) should be able to decide who they want to represent for themselves.
But I disagree with the part that nobody wants to be Lithuanian - we had some people changing colours with most recent case of our female pentathlete ,going for Russia,and few more high calibre examples springing into my mind like Kasparaitis (ice hockey) or some very good ,world class handball players (females again) playing for Austria and Germany.So what?We had an exodus anyway ,so it was only small proportion anyway,i and personally respect their decisions.
Now,if you mean that nobody wants to be Lithuanian in a opposite way,like becoming one of us, that's another story - remember K. Douglas case?
We do not want them)
2) By what blood relations is Mirotič related to Spain? His father, mother, grandma?
3) Spain just sells passports and it really shows what pride is to be Spaniard when everyone can become one. Come on, it's nonsense that anyone can become Spaniard so simply. If I live few years in Spain, I can become Spaniard too? Cool...
4) I consider this Mirotič-Spaniard thing as business. Real just signed long-term contract with him and to have him as a Spaniard in the team is plus for them. It's similar situation to those where American player decides to play for European country to get their passport (like McCaleb, Logan) because in some leagues there are limit of non-European players.
4) Domantas already plays for Lithuania so you can cry, this time I'm smiling
5) There were enough situations when some sportsmen wanted to get our citizenship but our country doesn't throw it out like a nothing. For example, Douglas wanted to play for our women national team and we refused (by the way, she just played very well in WNBA All Star game..), I know that many years ago one player of Lietuvos Rytas wanted to get citizenship and we refused.
I have nothing against having people who is related to your country to play in your team (for example, Australian U-19 has Hadziomerovič, Drmič but no one blames that) but when player has almost nothing to do with that country...it looks just like evil wish to become more stronger and rule it no matter what..if you would be allowed to naturalize more players in your senior national team, I bet you would.
How it comes that Ibaka was naturalized THIS YEAR...remind me, when did he play in Spain last time?
I think no one understands feeling of national pride - ask Pohani Komarac or many other, he will say how he feels about Draper representing his country. Some little countries just don't have good players so I don't especially mind that but Spain? Come on, that too much...
Auris, all those athletes that wanted to represent country did that only because of one thing - here in Lithuania it's even hard to survive being pro athlete while you're not top basketball or football (soccer) player (while you don't play in 1st division, I mean. Mostly)
C'mon, Sagenas is somewhat right: Spain is naturalizing people too easy lately...
To add more arguments to my post I can also give an example. Few years in a row Matt Bonner tries to get citizenship of Canada. And I think with all the stuff how he is related to Canada, he deserves Canadian citizenship much more than Mirotič and Ibaka deserve all together. I quote one media source:
And despite trying to get that citizenship few years in a row his wish is declined.The Spurs forward has been trying for years to gain dual citizenship, and he would seem to have a cut-and-dried case considering he’s married to a Canadian, has a Canadian daughter and grandfather and lives most of the offseason in Toronto.
mattteo, of course Spain's not alone but this is bad worldwide thing. I say things like this sometimes help to develop basketball in non-basketball countries (like Jordan had American player Wright or someone like this who led them..I think it SOMETIMES may be good for those non-basketball countries which must to be developed) but Spain is powerhouse which got many titles in last decade - is it normal when you have tons of talents but you seek it even more no matter what like a maniac? Come on then, build basketball facilities, hire good foreign coaches, attract kids and you will become even more powerful in a normal way, not like this...